IJMC - The New Professional Certification
This is the problem when I'm up late and a day behind on my posts. I
can't think of anything to write. So I write boring things like this.
Tonight, I'll shut up and let you on to what you want. Sleep. -dave
Southern Mountains Professional Engineering Exam:
1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
support a 10 pound possum.
2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on
blocks in your front yard?
A) '66 Ford Fairlane
B) '69 Chevrolet Chevelle
C) '64 Pontiac GTO
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons
of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the
4. A pulpwood cutter has chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density
of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The lot is
2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many
Budweiser Tall-Boys will it take to cut the trees?
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a
field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16
feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch
collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average
slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a
mobile home on the man's land?
8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade
on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic
loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck
before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain? For extra credit, how
many of the vehicles that swerved will have mufflers and uncracked
9. A Coal Mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The
mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the
beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be
smoked during the shift?
10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs
shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?